The meeting point is at Syntagma metro station. Start the day by sipping a Greek coffee in a traditional Greek coffee shop accompanied by fried doughnut balls with honey called “loukoumades”. Get a bite of a filled, crunchy filo layered pie called tyropita in one of the oldest pie baking shops in the center of Athens. Taste koulouri, a specialty pretzel dipped in sesame seeds, from a street stand like most Athenians do every morning.
Sample unique local delicacies like sliced meat, different cheeses from several regions of the country, olives and extra virgin olive oil. Walk around the streets of the central market of Athens, smell the spices, taste the fresh fruits and a variety of nuts and enter ”Varvakios agora”, the main meat and fish market. Lastly, finish the tour by tasting the most famous and delicious Greek street food, the glorious “Souvlaki”.
- Savor the crunchy filo layered pie called ‘tiropita’ or other handmade pies
- Drink Greek coffee, eat loukoumades and taste koulouri
- Sample olives and extra virgin olive oil
- Taste cheeses and sliced meat drinking tsipouro
- Enjoy the most famous Greek street food, souvlaki
The meeting point for the tour is inside Syntagma metro station at 09:30am. Your tour guide will be standing, one level down, by the ticket machines underneath the big hanging clock holding a light blue Athenian tours sign.
Good to know
- We are doing our tours only to small groups with a maximum capacity of 10 people
- The tours are conducted in English
- The walking pace during the tour is moderate with a lot of stops and sitting opportunities
- Wear comfortable shoes and hold a bottle of water
- We advise you to bring an umbrella on rainy days and wear a hat during summer
- There will be plenty of food on the tour, so you only need a light breakfast
- Some of the markets and vendors that we visit close after lunchtime, so the walk can only occur in the morning
- Please check in about any dietary restrictions before your walk so we can make arrangements with your guide
- Please advise in advance if vegetarian options are required. The tour is vegetarian-friendly as vegetarians have options in every spot. However, there are limited choices for other dietary restrictions such as gluten-free or dairy-free. Severe allergies cannot, unfortunately, be catered for on this tour.
- In an effort to ensure that you will avoid any kind of discomfort and most importantly that you will feel comfortable, our guides may change order of the sites you may visit.